When you have bought or made your own Absinthe how to prepare it is the next issue because Absinthe is not like any other alcoholic beverage, it is usually served diluted with iced water. This is the traditional way of serving Absinthe. It is known as “The Ritual” or “La Louche” and one can easily learn it.
Absinthe How to Prepare using The Ritual
To perform the Ritual, you will need the following:-
– Absinthe – A good quality Absinthe containing real herbal ingredients such as wormwood, aniseed and fennel. It is necessary to have thujone in the Absinthe.
– An Absinthe glass – an antique Absinthe glass or replica one is important item. Pontarlier glasses, Eiffel Tower spoons and other replicas of antiques can be bought from AbsintheKit.com.
– A slotted Absinthe spoon (also known as a cuillere).
– A cube of sugar.
– Importance of iced water in a carafe or in an Absinthe fountain.
Instructions for preparing the perfect Absinthe drink:-
– Pour 25-50ml of Absinthe into the glass.
– A cube of sugar is needed to be placed the resting Absinthe spoon.
– Either by dripping from the tap of the fountain or by using a carafe one can drip iced water over the sugar. Dripping it slowly will give the sugar chance to dissolve and drip through the slots of the spoon. You should see a lovely “louche” effect as the water mixes into the alcohol. As the essential oils of the herbs are soluble in alcohol but not in water so the Absinthe louches.
– Absinthe is popular as the Green Fairy which one can sit back and enjoy.
The Bohemian or Czech Method
This method of preparing Absintheis not traditional but is a modern way of preparing cheap Czech Absinthes. The Bohemian method is disliked by lots of Absinthe followers.
You will need:-
– Utility of an Absinthe glass
– Take an Absinthe slotted spoon
– A cube of sugar is needed
– Use a lighter or match
– Iced water
Instructions and tips for using the Bohemian method:-
– Pour 25-50ml of Absinthe into the glass and dip the sugar cube into it to soak the sugar.
– Place sugar cube on the Absinthe spoon and rest on the rim of the glass.
– The sugar cube should be kept alight for sometime to caramelize and melt. The right way is to drip the sugar through the slots of the spoon into the Absinthe.
– Put the spoon into the Absinthe and pour the iced water into the Absinthe to put out any flames and to cause the Absinthe to louche.
– These are the tips to enjoy Absinthe drink.
* Care should be taken with this method because the Absinthe in the glass may set alight too *
Absinthe can also be used in many cocktails. Ernest Hemingway was used to have it after mixing with champagne calling it “Death in the Afternoon”.
One can know everything about Absinthe with the help of the various mysteries, stories and legends behind it. An individual will enjoy drinking this famous mythical drink.